Thursday, November 8, 2012

Reward Chart

If you're like me, I'm always trying to come up with different ways to get my son to be motivated and not nag him to do things. Although some of these things seem simple, it's something Isaias needs some help in. He does pretty well in school and is very bright. He's in 1st grade and has begun reading chapter books! He does pretty well in spelling, and he LOVES math and is good at it! All that to say, I think when he gets home he has used up all the patience and motivation at school and just wants to be done.

My newest idea focuses more on his good behavior rather than bad. I was having him put a checkmark when he was not obeying well or not doing what he was supposed to. Each checkmark meant he had a chore to do the next day before his screen time. That lost it's effectiveness and I hated focusing on the negative. Isaias always tries to be optimistic like his Dad, so a reward system seemed more appropriate.

Here's my new method:

It's pretty self-explanatory, but a couple of the things are worth 3 tallies since we're working harder on those. I'll change them up as I need to. Also, he must do these without being asked. If I have to tell him, (after I've given ample time), he still has to do it but doesn't get a tally. I've kept it so he can get rewarded fairly often so he stays motivated. The rewards are simple, but effective! For some families, I know they let their kids pick any cereal they want, but I limit the sugar my kids have, including cereal. So, this would definitely be a reward! 




We keep track of the daily tallies this way. I found it for $1 at Target a while back, and it has come it handy for many things! I like how it has a magnet on the back. In the top left corner are the tallies he earned from last week. Isaias is also learning about tally marks and counting them at school. He's learning math at home too! ;) 

If you need more ideas, I love the book Creative Correction by Lisa Welchel.

I'd love to hear ideas from other people too! Feel free to comment!




No comments: